Head Out on the Lake without Injury
Tuesday May 30, 2017
Teresa Taylor | email@example.com
- Use forward and reverse at an idle speed when docking and moving your boat near the marina.
- Have bumpers, mooring lines and boat hooks ready before docking.
- Keep all body parts in the boat until you have come to a complete stop.
- Tie the line that holds the boat against the wind first when docking.
General Boating Precautions:
- Dock at a marina that has standpipes, fire extinguishers, good lighting, surveillance cameras and security measures in place.
- Always wear personal flotation devices when on the water, especially those that cannot swim and children.
- Do not swim near a marina since boaters cannot see you when they are trying to dock.
- Wear non-slip shoes on the boat and dock.
- Keep your boat in good condition with all equipment meeting safety standards established in your area.
- Assure that the marina has the proper power voltage for your boat.
- Add fuel to portable tanks on the dock only; never on the deck of your boat.
To avoid a potential fire onboard, inspect fuel hoses and containers on a regular basis to prevent the escaping vapors from going into bilges. Also, check the wiring and all appliances on deck for damage frequently.
As a safety precaution, keep fire extinguishers on deck and fit smoke detectors to the cabin.