Beware of Deer on the Road!
Tuesday September 16, 2014“Fall is a great time of year! Cider mills are open, trees turn a beautiful color, days get cooler and the deer start running! Here are some tips for staying safe on the roads this time of year.” Danielle Allen | email@example.com Staying safe on the road can be a challenge, especially when it involves an unexpected deer or other animal jumping across the road. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that nearly one-quarter of all animal and vehicle crashes result in some form of bodily injury or vehicle damage. Whether you’re driving in the city or the country, here are some tips to keep you safe on the road. Safe Driving Tips
- Animal and vehicle collisions are especially commonplace between October and December when animals are migrating to other habitats for the winter months to find food and to breed. Drivers should be aware of this danger and take the necessary precautions to remain accident-free.
- Remain alert at all times and watch out for animals.
- Slow down if you see an animal up ahead, as it is generally unpredictable. Sound your horn with a long blast to scare it away.
- Slow down at designated animal crossing areas marked by road signs. These signs indicate that the area has a lot of animal traffic and an increased potential for accidents.
- Watch your speed, especially during dusk and at night.
- Use your high beams at night to see animals easier.
- Have your vehicle’s brakes and tires checked regularly to ensure that they are in safe working order.
- Watch out for movement and shiny eyes on the roadsides. Slow down if you see anything suspicious.
- If you see an animal in front of you, do not swerve because it may cause you to hit another vehicle, side rail or lose control all together. BRAKE!
- Slow down on blind curve areas of the roadway.
- Always wear a seat belt—it’s your best safety defense.
Peabody Insurance Latest News & Blogs
- 265 North Alloy,
- Fenton, Michigan 48430
- PH: (810) 629-1504
- FX: (810) 629-2822
Thanks for signing up!